16 December 2015

Some decorating and easy mince-pies.

Some outside decorating.
Using fresh greenery and berries I've collected
and things I've dried over the year.

The first wreath I made,
 now hangs on the door at my daughters house.

Some outdoor decorating with lanterns.


Peeping in the window.




Every year at Christmas time I make mince-pies.
 For those of you who are not familiar with these spicy little tart-lets
 this is what they look like.


I don't make my own mince-meat I cheat a little and use a bought jar of good quality mince meat and add a slug of brandy, along with a few other extras
like grated orange peel a few cranberries & some chopped nuts. 
 .... but if you do want to make your own, take a look here
 Daphne always makes her own.

But this way is quick & easy.

This year I'm going to try something totally different.
It's a Jamie Oliver recipe, he used bought mince meat in a jar
along with ready made puff pastry and filo pastry sheets, 
so even chefs cheat,

Perfect mince pies

Jamie's Mince-pies  they look so different.

Just to finish off
 I wanted to show you this lovely vintage enamel plaque
 I found it at a Christmas market.
It's been made into a coat hook-hanger.



I think I'm all organised now, 
what needs to be ordered has been ordered.
Cards and gifts to be sent have been posted.
Always some last minute presents to wrap.


So now I can do all the extra little touches to make
my home extra special for family and friends.
I plan to make Winter Spiced Pot-Pourri


It's an easy gift, smells wonderful
When all the spices and dried fruit are mixed together
 put the pourri in a pretty jar or a see through bag & tie with ribbon.  
Last year it was a great success, so I'll definitely make some more this week

I followed Stone Gable blog recipe, if you want to know how
to make it why don't you pop over to her  blog.

How is all your preparation coming along ?
Hope you are enjoying the build up to the festive season.
I'll try and get another post done, 
so that I can show you all the house decorating I've done


à bientôt
Barbara Lilian









17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your Christmas Mince Meat post. It reminded me of my mother, my dad too . . . and the fragrance which was usually a hint that the Christmas season was in full swing. I like the little star touches in the small pies. Lovely wreath and potpourri idea too. I used to make my own potpourri . . . it has been a few years . . . I will have to revisit that idea for another year.
    Merry Christmas Barbara . . .
    (Our cards are ordered, they will say Merry Christmas but doubt they will arrive before 2016.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Barbara. Your home made wreath is so beautiful. I really love the natural elements you made it with. The view into the candlelit window is pretty. I also make the 'cheater' mince tarts with pre-bought pastry shells and jarred mincemeat. :) I am just about all ready for Christmas. We had quite a freezing rain storm on Tuesday and tomorrow will be mild and rainy. Such strange weather! Have a wonderful day. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, your wreath looks lovely and the mince pies are making my mouth water. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Barbara- your wreath is beautiful. Those mince pies would not last long at our home. I bet they will be delicious using the puff pastry too. Thank you for the links too. Everything looks like it is ready at your home. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetly festive through and through!:)
    Your mince pies look lovely..I think I made them once!!
    Jamie gets to me..in a wonderful way.Je l'aime beaucoup beaucoup!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice that you're all ready! I would love to try your pies. They sound delicious. I am ready for some baking myself! A Happy Christmas to you! I agree that red is feeling so much cheerier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW Barbara .... you have been busy. I LOVE Jamie Oliver recipes ..... they always turn out so well and are often all done in one pan !!
    Your home looks so Christmassy and welcoming.
    Have a lovely time and here's to more blogging friendship in 2016. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY !!!!! I think that I managed to comment this time !!!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Merry Christmas Barbara .....love from me Ria x❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, these are wonderful pictures, and I really like the ones "peeping in the window." Your mince pies look scrumptious, and I think the flaky pastry ones will taste even better. Daphne always makes the most amazing dishes. The vintage plaque is so cute; I love vintage anything vintage. The spiced pot pourri is a nice gift to give friends and family. You did a great job on your wreat, it's so pretty, and the purple bow adds a special touch.

    May you have a Merry Christmas, Barbara. I hope you have a wonderful time with all your family.
    You're one of my favorite friends here in this grand blog land.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Afternoon Barbara, Your home looks beautiful it radiates Christmas. I love Christmas wreaths and yours looks so lovely and how fabulous that your daughter now owns the very first wreath which you made.... a family heirloom.
    I love lights shining through windows... it always makes me want to peek inside.... nosey parker that I am.
    Thank you so much for the mention, that was kind of you. Do you know, Jamie is pretty amazing, as I would never have thought of using puff pastry and filo pastry. I've made filo pastry mince pies before and I have made puff pastry mince pies, but I would never have thought to combine the two. I bet they were scrummy. We are supposed to be keeing our mince pies for the Christmas, but we keep eating the odd one or two during the evening with brandy butter, oh well, once they are gone they are gone.... that's my mum's saying, having said that, I can always make some more as I do have a jar of mincemeat in the cupboard.... well just incase it is needed.... haha.
    Have a wonderful Christmas Barbara and wishing you all the best for the New Year.
    Love and Best Wishes.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are well on top of everything Barbara. I love little mince pies…I had a friend from England years ago that used to make them for me. I cheat and use a jar of mince but add to it. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. QUE LINDO TODO!!!
    SLUDITOS Y
    FELICES FIESTAS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to my blog sister from France. Wishing you much peace and joy and love in the new year, Barbara.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have created a truly magical feeling in your home for the holidays Barbara! I feel as though I should even be able to smell the wonderful aromas coming from your kitchen as your pies bake. Your home exudes warmth!
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. It was so good to see you had come by.
    I wish for you a wonderful 2016!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi barbara! For some reason your email addy is hidden somehwre in my adress /contact book under something;0

    Have fun and go see this post about organizing:)

    http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/throw-away-50-things-2016-edition/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barbara, it's nice to talk with someone who knows so much about the flowers, their kind and names. I'm still learning, but it's a fun learning process. :)

    Have a peaceful weekend, dear.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you