01 September 2014

Summers still here in France.

 
 
Although our summer has not been glorious sunshine everyday
and I was not able to give our garden the care it needed
we still have some plants giving us lots of colour.
These  Echinacea  have flowered all summer
 and it looks like they will for a lot longer.
 
 
 
 
 
 They will definitely have to be moved to the new flower bed,
as they have taken over this small area smothering the smaller plants
which are now hidden underneath, fighting for a bit of light.
 
 




I bet you're wondering why I'm showing these Lobelia growing in the gravel ?
Every year I used to sow Trailing Lobelia seeds in trays,
they would germinate,  start to grow, then shrivel up !
Now I go to the nearest garden centre and buy them fully grown in small pots.
Then every year half way through the summer they pop up in the gravel,
from seeds which must have fallen from the previous year.
I pull them out and put them into my hanging baskets.
They must like the cold moist gravel during the winter.
So much for my tender loving care I give to the seeds I sow.




Iceland Poppy
Last year I acquired two Iceland poppy plants.
They were on the shelf in a little shop and looked like they were almost dead.
 As I had bought a few other plants, I thought I'd ask if I could have the two for the price of one.
It must have been my lucky day, he put them in a bag
and said it was a petite cadeaux / a little gift.





They flowered for quite sometime, then completely disappeared.
Then this summer after thinking they had died
they must have been slowly growing without me knowing what they were,
and now summer is almost over they've decided to flower.
I need to mark there place so that I'll remember for next year.


 
This is another annual plant that I found growing in the gravel from a fallen seed,
 I pulled it up and popped it into this blue glazed pot so that I can move it about  
and now it adds some bright colour to an other wise dull spot.
 

 
 
Blue Campanula - carpatica
I did plant some white ones, but they don't seem to have survived the wet winter.
 

 
 
 
 I rescued this on one of my walks from a compost heap.
Perhaps someone had been thinning out their flower bed. I took them home,
not sure what they were until they flowered, then I knew... Osteospernum
I've put them in pots until I'm able to get the proposed flower bed dug out.
 They have flowered on & on all summer.
Being white I need to be put them somewhere that needs lightening up.
 


 
Such a pretty flower.
 
 
Hibiscus - Adonicus pink.
I've kept this in it's original pot and it's been flowering profusely   
since my stay in hospital. It was a gift from a friend.




It still has lots of buds.



 
 
This Fuchsia has such a beautiful flower. Unfortunately I don't know the name.
 I managed to over winter it from a hanging basket I'd bought last year.
It's struggled a bit, but it's now showing some lovely blooms.
 now that summer is nearly over. 
 
 
 
I see from several of my blogger friends gardens that Autumn is certainly here.
I hope some of you can manage to hold on to summer a bit longer, If not,
maybe you have some plants in pots that are still flowering that you can bring indoors.
 
What ever your weather enjoy your garden.
 
I know my posts have been few and far between these past few months,
but I'm almost back to my old self.
I have greatly appreciated all the kind get well wishes from so many of you.
 
I'll be back soon, as  I have something I want to share with you.
à bientôt
Barbara Lilian
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara,just visiting from Ivy,Phyllis & me! Your flowers are all quite lovely,I especially love the fuchsia! Where I live the deer are such a nuisance it is hard to grow anything that they do not eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a way with flowers…nurturing and moving, then rewarded with pretty blossoms. I'm happy to know you are doing so well, just like your flowers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pot very similar to your cobalt blue one..the rim is rounded..I love it..I think that is Coreopsis Moonbeam in it..not sure..but I used to have some..as well as the Icelandic poppies..none to be found this year..

    Pansies self seed like your Lobelia here in certain places..not enough places but always a nice surprise..
    I have a little vine that LOVES gravel..Forget Me Nots do too.
    We also have the same Fuschias..
    Beautififul flowers Barbara..~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon soir. Toutes ces petites fleures sont belles . Votre derniére photo et superbe . Bonne Semaine a bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Barbara - I so enjoyed seeing your lovely plants. I always struggle to grow lobelia -- so I appreciated seeing yours growing in the stone - hmm - maybe that is what I need to do. That white flower is beautiful - well worth saving from someone's compost heap. I am glad you are almost back to your old self. I can hear your garden plans being made for next year. Have a lovely day and thanks so much for stopping by to visit me. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to say hello . . . been awhile since I have visited you.
    Happy I visited today to see your sweet blooms and color . . .
    Happy Day To You . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have beautiful blooms in your garden, Barbara. It may have been unintentional "planting", but the blue lobelia popping up amongst the stones looks charming! As for the poppies, you certainly did nurse them back to health. I hope you enjoy these last weeks of summer.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you