08 January 2014

It suddenly felt like spring today.



My potting bench.


I know a lot of my followers are fighting their way through deep snow,
but so far our weather has been very mild this winter but wet.
Today we actually had blue sky and sunshine,
which is why I felt it was like spring.

I thought I'd do a bit of tidying up, doing things I'd left for another day.
That other day has been a long time coming due to sever back and leg pain
which I now find is Arthritis.

In late October and early November I planted a lot of new bulbs
along with the ones from last year which had been stored in the shed. 
I  thought they had all been planted, 
well look what I found, tulip bulbs which had started to sprout











I'm not able to do serious digging yet, so when I saw this trough with a lonely Pansy in bloom
from last spring, I decided to shove the tulip bulbs into the trough.
and hope they'll grow.





There were still plenty of bulbs left, so they were pushed into this green container.






When I plant things in the garden I usually push a stick in the ground
as I get a bit forgetful these days, it reminds me that I've planted something there.

I thought this pot needed something a little more decorative than a stick or cane.
so I chose my little garden whimsies.





I know spring is a long way off yet.
and I'm sure we'll have  lots more sunny days 
but while I wait for these tulips to sprout a bloom,
these little figures make the flowerless pot look a bit more cheerful.






I hope my sunshine day was able to bring a little sunshine into your day 
what ever type of weather you are having.



à bientôt
Barbara Lilian


7 comments:

  1. The weather has been amazing in Paris too!
    I dread New York's storms heading this way..
    Love your adorable garden stick figures.
    Very jolly indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only bulbs poking out are the indoor hyacinths here..My you have had a mild winter..
    It must be lovely..of course I find everything in France quite lovely..
    Your gardenbuddies are cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Barbara - you did bring some sunshine to me today. I know those tulips will be blooming in no time...wonder what colors they are? Is it a mystery or do you know? If you are like me it would be a mystery and then a lovely surprise when they bloom. Love your whimsical folks too. Did you make these? Hope you are having a great day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Barbara, Happy New Year to you. I am catching up with you after enjoying a wonderful Christmas with my family, only to find you are unwell.
    I think spring is a long way off for us, but I can see the nights are getting lighter.... well it is dark at 4 pm now and not 3.30 pm.
    Isn't it always the way, you think all the planting is done and up pops and bag of bulbs. Don't laugh, but George was sorting out the garage and he found a bag of miniature daffodil bulbs which I had not planted. I am going to take a leaf out of your book and plant them and see how they go.
    I loved the photo album you posted on Google, what a treat. Google obviously loved your photos.... and who can blame them as they are always so beautiful.
    Take care Barbara, and don't do too much when the sun shines..... as tempting as it is.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, it does look like spring in your garden. We had bitter cold, snow and ice storms but have had a few mild days now. It probably won't look like spring here until March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara!
    Love the warm golden stone wall where your potting bench is situated.
    I'm sure you'll have some sweet surprises popping up in the spring - I love that about gardening, it's never boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara,
    Oh, I hope your bulbs bloom to be beautiful flowers this spring, my friend. My roses haven't bloomed yet - it's still too cold. It's nice to see a bit of spring in your garden.

    I hope the new year is treating you good.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you